Reflections of a Wife, Mom & Weightloss Surgery Patient!

What you do and don't do to manage your life does not only affect you. It affects everyone around you!- Author Elizabeth George

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Second Chances

I did my first Couch to 5K (C25k) workout using a podcast & a treadmill this afternoon. It began with a five minute warm up, then alternated with a 60 second run and 90 second walk for the next 20 minutes and a five minute cool down. This is the schedule for 3 days your first week, with a day off in between. I ran walked 1.18 miles, and for the most part I think I did ok. I skipped two intervals but sped up the pace for the last interval.

The sweat was dripping off my face as I guzzled the water at the end of my workout and my legs felt like jello as I struggled to get up the stairs from the basement. At first, I was proud of myself for finishing what I started even if I had to modify the plan a bit. By the time I reached the top of the stairs, I became annoyed with myself. How did I get here again?? When I said good-bye to the 250's in 2008, just months after my gastric bypass, I swore I was never going back "there" again. Yet, here I am!!

As I finished our dinner of cubed steak pieces, red skin potatoes, boiled cabbage and fresh, cut up veggies I thought I have two choices: I can dwell on it and feel defeated or I can attempt to learn from my mistake and start again. I mean, the "pouch" created by my surgeon during my gastric bypass surgery as a tool. It did not go away because I gain a small fraction of my weight back. So, I just need to get back on track again. As I sat down to eat dinner with my beautiful family, I thanked God again for second chances.

My friend, Jen, reminded of my second chance recently in the wake of her own tragedy she took a few minutes to remind me "in the middle of my lil o'mess, I forgot how big I am blessed" as she lost her father to obesity recently. She reached passed her tears and sadness to help me to remember why I had my surgery to begin with: Rod and the boys. As the reality is that when I take care of myself, I am just a better wife to Rod and mother to my boys. With the stress of Rods joblessness taking extreme tolls on my health, it is more imperative than ever, I regain control of the regain.

I have asked Jen to be a guest writer to share her dads story, so that may be some good may come from such heart ache as she watched her dad kill himself through food. Something that if I am not careful, will be my children's story about me. As I sit here now, I look over top of of the computer screen to see two little boys wrestling. I wish you could hear the giddy laughter they share!! It makes my heart do flip flops as the noise levels soars as they belly laugh with red faces as legs and arms flying everywhere. I know without a shadow of a doubt I would trade every french fry, slice of pizza or frozen coffee drinks to keep them from the pain that Jens heart endures daily as she faces life without her dad. My heart hurts for my friend but I am thankful she is willing to step out on faith and share with you and others her pain so that others may be helped. Please look for Jen's story soon.

After dinner Rod said, "So how did it feel?" talking about running. I thought for a minute, as I rubbed my calves I responded "It felt like hard work. But anything worth having is worth fighting for." He smiled back, "Your hooked now aren't you?" He knew the answer without answering the question!! I am hooked and I am the only person who stands in my way. If God can give me a second chance, shouldn't I give myself one??

~Kristy~






No comments: