Reflections of a Wife, Mom & Weightloss Surgery Patient!

What you do and don't do to manage your life does not only affect you. It affects everyone around you!- Author Elizabeth George

Friday, March 30, 2012

Running in the Rain

I do not feel as poorly as I thought I may after my first run in ages. My back is a little sore from lack of a good sports bra and my legs feel a little stiff but all in all, pretty good!!

As I settled in with my warm cup of coffee on this cold morning, I thought about what I should be eating if I was serious about training for this 5k.

According to The runner's diet you need 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fat. Which goes against what I want/need to be eating as a gastric bypass diet, which is high protein(50-75grams per day), low carb and low fat.

So, I am in a bit of a quandary as to what to do!! Its been awhile since I have seriously looked at my nutrition. I mean, I have made half hearted attempts but nothing serious. Tomorrow is the day that I set for myself to be registered for my fitness pal. I think that it will be a helpful tool for me to look at my nutritional needs and move a few things around.

I have been taking my supplements, 2 multivitamins, 2 calcium, 1 D-3, 1 iron, 1 dropper of a sub lingual B-12, B-complex and fiber. Gotta love the nutritional supplements but I honestly think that they are the reason I have not gotten really sick when my eatting went off track! I am also thankful for coupons because without them, these supplements would cost us a fortune!

As I looked through the many, many sites that the the internet has to offer in the way of 5K training and diet suggestions, the hail begins to bang against the front room window. The darkness forces me to reach above and click on the light to see the computer screen to continue to type. The current time is 2:58 and I have to walk a block and a half to get Korbin from school...in the pouring rain!

As the lightening flashes from the Heavens, I make the decision to leave the umbrella at home and RUN to the school. Off the porch, I sprint across the street and down the block to the crossing guard. I walk through the school safety's to the play ground door where my second grader grabs my wet hand and says, "Let's go Mom" and we begin to retrace our steps home. On the other side of the main street I ask Korbin, "You want to run?" and together we take off.

The splish splash under my feet has my pants completely soaked and I lost my hood on the orginal sprint, so my wet hair is hanging in my eyes where my glasses usually rest. I wipe the dripping hair strands out of my face and yell for Korbin to hold up! My lungs are on fire and it aches to breath!! Back across our street, Korbin picks up his pace again and runs into the house. If the ground was not wet, I would have collapsed right there! I  go into the house and head to the kitchen to sit on a wooden chair to remove my wet coat and shoes. One puff of the inhaler..no relief! My lungs are burning and now there is an intense wheeze coming from somewhere.

Sans the wet clothes, I plop into the chair and squeek out that I need the breathing machine as the warm tears sing my eyes. Are you kidding me? An asthma attack for a block and a half??? I am irratated!!! If I can not run a block and a half, I am never gonna be able to run a 5k!!! Rod just watches me, he is not sure what to say as I sit there taking my breathing treatment from a short sprint which has reduced me to tears.

Now, my legs are aching and my back hurts as if I have been on a moving crew!! I want to be a runner, up until 3pm today I thought this goal was completely possible. I also thought this would be some work but I thought I could achieve at least a block & a half?!

The voice of reason reminds me gently that it is alot different running outside in the rain, than running on a treadmill in the basement. He may be right, either way I am frustrated. Then Rod says, " There is a reason you have a day off in between scheduled runs. Your muscles need time to recover", as he wipes the tears from my face. "I sure hope your right!" I say as I turn off the nebulizer.

"Because the way it feels right now," I said " Maybe running is another sport I should just stand on the sidelines and cheer others on for!" Rod shakes his head as he channels my mother and says, " You can do anything you want to do!"



~Kristy~



3 comments:

Nina Martin said...

You are doing beautifuly, my friend. I am SO proud of you. You are learning as you go -listen to your body! Running outside is much more natural. Keep going to it when weather permits. A block and a half in your FIRST week is huge! It may have been too much, but you did it! It only gets better. I would love it if you could join the group in May. There will be walkers and runners of every age, size, and ability....you won't be alone.

Nina Martin said...

You are doing beautifuly, my friend. I am SO proud of you. You are learning as you go -listen to your body! Running outside is much more natural. Keep going to it when weather permits. A block and a half in your FIRST week is huge! It may have been too much, but you did it! It only gets better. I would love it if you could join the group in May. There will be walkers and runners of every age, size, and ability....you won't be alone.

Lori B said...

You have to take it slow, Running is a sport and it takes time to build your muscles,lungs and cardiac output to sustain the run...and yes it is much more difficult to run outside....Proud of your courage to undertak this!!!