Reflections of a Wife, Mom & Weightloss Surgery Patient!

What you do and don't do to manage your life does not only affect you. It affects everyone around you!- Author Elizabeth George

Monday, January 21, 2013

Dream a little Dream

Yesterday, we drove to Rod's parents after church for dinner.When we were first married, Rod & I would alternate on Sundays going to my mamaw's for lunch or his parents. Sometimes if my dad was home, we would go there. Over the years, things have come up and this has kinda dwindled.

From church to my In-Laws house, it is roughly an hour or so. After a quick stop at Rite-Aid for juice, vitamin H20 and coffee we were on our way. With the boys listening to the new Kutless CD, we turned up the music and headed north.

Rod grabs my hand and kisses my fingers like he often does, and askes what we thought we were going to do for our TENTH ANNIVERSARY this summer. Ten years?! Where has the time gone???

The last time we did anything for our anniversay was the year we got married, and went on our honeymoon. This was also the last time we took a vacation. So the prospect of going away is thrilling! The question at hand is do we do something alone or as a family? Just as we have not been on a vacation in 10 years, our 3 & 8 year olds have never been on vaction!

After a few minutes of discussion we decided to take a week-end to ourselves; a 3 day week-end, and then take a full weeks vacation as a family!

I smiled at Rod and a quick glace from the road to return my smile as he squeezed my hand, it was finally ok to dream again. Its sad to say that before now, I can not remember the last time we sat together and dreamed.

It was fun!

Before we knew it the hour drive was over, but the happiness that dreaming brought lasted through out the day. Dinner was nice, Rods mom made steak ( for Korbin) and spaghetti ( for Konnor). I like eatting dinner with Rod's family because we sit at the table and pass things around, talking and just having some family time. It reminds me of being a kid and eatting dinner with my Dad & Step-Mom.  I like that they boys have this sense of family and learn some life skills from this experience.

I would be remissed if I said it is perfect sitting around the dinner table every time. But when the boys are older, I am praying that the good memories far out weigh the bad and the bad have a learning purpose in their lives. Like any family we have our ups & downs, the more I pray regarding direction as well as my place in this family, I see God working and changing hearts. I have along way to go to be where I need to be in this family, but to know God is working gives me motivation to continue to try and pray for continued growth and change.

Yesterday, was a great day around the dinner table and the spark in my husbands eye was still there as we cleaned the table.

Dreaming gave us hope.

I was reminded of Rod's mom favorite verse, Jeremiah 29:11 " I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". It was nice to have a hope for the future again!!

On the way home, we picked up our conversation where we left off and landed on a destination for our family trip. This made my heart happy and seemed to agree with our family as it gave us a peaceful tone for the rest of the night.

Even today, it makes me smile to think about it. Its not necessarily the vacation that is warming my heart but the time together making memories, and the hope for the future, that is giving me joy.

Joy unspeakable and full of Glory, because God kept his promise. " If you have faith the grain of a mustard seed, you can move a mountain." We kept our faith, and He moved our mountains.

~Kristy~


No comments: