Reflections of a Wife, Mom & Weightloss Surgery Patient!

What you do and don't do to manage your life does not only affect you. It affects everyone around you!- Author Elizabeth George

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Finally...a new post!!



Ya know, I have been CRAZY busy and let grass grow under my feet blogging. I am really sorry to those of you who really look forward to reading my posts and have encouraged me to get back into things.

No, I have no idea how to link this to face book but will look into it, for those of you who have asked me to do that for you.

So, a quick update: I am still in school. This semester I am taking organic chemistry & Anatomy and Physiology. After this semester, I can apply to the respiratory therapy program. I have another semester and an entrance test before I can apply to the nursing program.

I have also been struggling with migraine headaches and I am currently under the care of a neurologist for these. I was taking topamax for them, which is actually an anticonvolsant but it is also used now to treat migraines. I had some side effects to that, so now I am trying something else. Well actually, I am praying about trying something else. I have the scrip laying on the entertainment center and I am just not sure if I wanna use it or not. The doctor said she see's alot people who have had a gastric bypass for migraines. So, this month I have been focusing on taking my vitamins and increasing my water to see if there is any improvement with that.

The above picture is the most current one, it was taken is October 2011. My current weight in that pictures is..gasp..257.3!! I know, I know!! This is a LONG way from my 190's I was in right before I was pregnant with Konnor. There has been so much happening, I have honestly putting my health on the back burner again. Which is one of the reasons I was wondering if I began to experience migraines.

This time last year, I was struggling with the idea of failure. Was I a failure because of the regain?? I mean, I had weight loss surgery to be healthy, right? So, if I gained back weight and was no longer healthy, was I a failure?? To be honest, I am still not sure of the answer. But what I am sure of is that if I give up completely, that definitely makes me a failure, so I refuse to give up!!

Just as soon as I made that commitment, I got slammed in the face with something else. Or should I say, someone else. No! Ha ha it is NOT what you are thinking...there is no other little Kristy on the horizon!! I am talking about my mamaw.

My mom died some years ago, and this year her mom who is in her senior years, began to need some extra care. So my aunts and uncles, cousins and my sister and I began giving her around the clock care in her home. This emotionally and physically exhausting. Make no mistake, I would not change any moment of the help I have given to her or the bonding we have experienced because of it. Or the bonding I have experienced with my family. I would however change, the time I had to spend away from Rod and the boys. I miss them when I am not with them but mamaw's house is just not a place for them to be right now. Mamaw is getting stronger everyday and with continued therapy,she should be able to care for herself enough to only need help during the night. Instead of getting started on my fitness and weight loss goals in Jan, I am looking at Feb.

What are my goals? The most simple is too feel good again. I hate feeling like I have failed and I hate feeling dependant on medicine to feel good. I would like to get to my goal weigh of 169 lbs, which is still 200lbs from my highest weight. I also would like to run my first 5k this year. I want to be able to cook more healthy foods for my family and lastly, I want to reduce the amount of coffee I drink. I LOVE coffee!! Every time I smell it I am transported back to my grandparents house in KY and the smell that came from the cups when my dad was there and would sit and drink coffee around the dark, wooden table with the spindle bar chairs. To this day, I have no idea if my papaw drank the coffee or not but it is one of my fondest memories. So drinking coffee and smelling it remind me of my dad & papaw. But too much of it just is not good for me, so one or two cups a day is a good goal. Maybe tomorrow, I will make a post a list..just like the old days..and of course one of my obvious goals is to blog more. There is something healthy for me about putting my thoughts into word form and getting them out of my head and onto paper. Plus, I like the memories it leaves for the boys. And if I put it on "blogger" paper it does not clutter the corners of my house to eventually get tossed away. Thank you all for sticking with me and continue to read & inquire. I look forward to blogging with you more and I fight the regain, finish school and see what else God has in store for me & mine in 2012!~Kristy~





No comments: