Reflections of a Wife, Mom & Weightloss Surgery Patient!

What you do and don't do to manage your life does not only affect you. It affects everyone around you!- Author Elizabeth George

Monday, November 3, 2008

Read my lips, NO MORE BUFFETS!!!

On Saturday, our family went to a buffet for dinner, we've been twice before in the recent months following my surgery. Each time in the days following, my stomach has been a knotted mess. Why I thought it would be any different this time, I am not sure.
When we arrived, the overwhelming smell of bbq hit me in the face, and warning bells went off. Yet, I continued to walk up to the counter with my hubby and son and pay our 11.00 per person for something I would later regret immensely!
As I searched the buffet for something that would not ruin everything I had worked so hard for, I realized that I was not going to find anything since Saturdays were bbq nite, that meant if it was not deep fried it was slathered in bbq sauce (which is loaded with brown sugar, a BIG no no).
Alas, I settled for a salad with some cheese and ranch dressing, and a slice of way to salty ham. I also had two bites of a roll with butter and one bite of reduced sugar apple pie, and my stomach was screaming!!!
My pouch, which can hold 1 1/2 cups of food comfortably, was gurgling and bubbling in protest of what I had just done. This was not the high protien, low carb good-for-you type meal my little stomach has become accustom to recieving. The food I choose I don't think was a bad choice, but I think that there is something that they cook the food in that does not agree with me. Or they are using the same utensils to cut the ham, that they do to remove the fried chicken thus transfering the grease that my sensitive system can not tolerate any more.
Regardless of why, it is just a fact that I can not eat at buffets anymore. The days following are miserable for me, my stomach still aches and it is Monday now. It is tender and sensitive and protesting anything that I put inside my body except for protien drinks.
Other thing that leaves my shaking my head is, I can not believe I spent $11.00 on a salad & a slice of ham!!! Since my surgery, our average bill for a dinner at a restraurant is $15-20, my meal usually cost the same amount as Korbin's; $4-6. Ahhh!! That was just a bad budget mistake, especially since our $32.00 dinner out cost me an additional $7.00 in antacids and antidiarehha medication at the pharmacy. So, for $41.00, I got crap, literally!!!
*Sigh* I should have listen when the warning bells in my head starting flashing and blinking to tell me that this was not a good idea. However, I did not listen and paid the price for it. I thought if I wrote down what happened, then the next time I was tempted to go to a buffet for dinner I would say thanks but no, the stakes are to high. Budgetwise and Physically.

No comments: