Reflections of a Wife, Mom & Weightloss Surgery Patient!

What you do and don't do to manage your life does not only affect you. It affects everyone around you!- Author Elizabeth George

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Godly Contentment

Goals. We all got'em, for the last 10 months, mine have revolved around the scale. What is says but what it doesn't say speaks so much more to me. For some reason seeing that scale go down has given me validation, both with myself and others.
I have watched the scale go down from 379 pounds to 207 pounds, sometimes it goes strait down and other times toggling back and forth for a couple of days or so. I have stayed on a strict diet for weeks at a time and others, I have gotten off track for what seems like forever.
But now matter what numerals appear on my digital scale, I still feel as if I am in limbo, waitting for something else to happen.
God's word speaks about contenment in 21 different verses, yet I have found none. And I do not know where this feeling of falling and never reaching the bottom stems from.
Each day, all of my basic needs are met- I have a warm home, clothes to put on and food to put in my stomach. Beyond that I have a great God to go too with what ever situation ales me at the moment. He is " a friend that sticks closer than a brother" in a variety of ways. However, I constantly sit waitting for the other shoe to fall.
Through out this year, I have found that peace from within that I have so often sought after in food without it. Again, it seems as if that unquenchable hunger has returned and I am left shaking my head in wonder as to why.
Is it the time of year that it is?
Is it the continual uncertainty of my husbands job?
Is it the decision as to when to move and where to live?
Is it the right time to have other children or not?
Is it the right time for me to go back to school or not?
These are a few of the questions I wrestle with on a daily basis.
Strangely enough, I never completely give these nagging situations over to the Lord as I know that I should.
My heart tells me to give my problems and concerns to the Master Decision Make of my life, and allow Him to work in ways in which I can not. However,it seems as if day by day I am constantly challenged to handle these decisions myself.
Hebrews 13:5 says Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” or Proverbs 3:5 says Trust in the Lord with all your heart and Lean not unto your own understanding. In reading these verses and knowing and understanding them, am I being the person that God wants me to be in being discontent and leaning on my own understanding??
Another question to wrestle with.
I guess the bigger question is to be asking myself is why has this discontment reared it's ugly head and how do I get back to the sense of peace I had only months ago?
I know the answer to this, for it is my life's verse:Phillippians 4:6-7 6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Lord God, I ask through prayer and supplication in the earnest seeking of your word and in thanksgiving of the great gifts you have already bestowed upon me according to your riches in heaven that you will help me not to lean on my own understanding but thine will be done and that you will restore my inner peace and my focus on those things Godly and Good. Help me to guard my heart and mind against the enemy being annxious for nothing, and to think and act upon those things that are pure and lovely.Amen.

No comments: