Reflections of a Wife, Mom & Weightloss Surgery Patient!

What you do and don't do to manage your life does not only affect you. It affects everyone around you!- Author Elizabeth George

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Birthday Party Day

On Saturday, Korbin celebrated his 4th birthday. We usuaully have one big party, for both family and friends. However, this year we decided to seperate the two and take Korbin with his class friends from church to Chuck E. Cheese. Then, later that afternoon, we had cake & ice cream with our family in the front office at our apartment complex. It was a busy afternoon, but alot of fun.
Korbin's best friends, Natalie and Noah along with his cousin Shelley went to the pizza fun place, where we spent two very load hours. It was a good time, seeing the kids run & have fun doing what kids to best. One of the reasons I love Chuch E. Cheese, is that they have the kids safe policy where you and your child must have a matching stamp to come & go from the enterence/exit. If your stamps do not match, then the adult and kid can not leave together. It does not replace parental supervision but it does give some piece of mind that he can not walk out the door with anyone either.
It was a rainy day, so an indoor party with lots to see and do what exactly what the dr. ordered! So, two hours later, we packed up our things and headed home to relax and get ready for cake and ice cream with the family. We usually just invite Korbins friends to our family party, however, this year it just worked out better to take the little kids to do something more active and fun.
We had the leasing ceter for two hours, and it was a quick cake, ice cream and presents. I loved it!! The clean up with quick and it was very low-key. Almost like a birthday party we would have if we had a home to have it in. By 5 pm, we were packed up (still in the rain) and headed home. Korbin played with each and every toy he got before the nights end. I think this was a really enjoyable day for him and something he will remember in the future.
Birthdays are a big deal for me. I decorate the house, we have a theme, and always have a cake with the persons name on it. My own birthday is two days after christmas. After is the key word there, when everyone is broke and worn out. Which has always made me feel a little bit like an after thought. Especially when people use phrases like "Merry christmas and Happy Birthday". Which would be great,if they were on the same day. For many people, for many years my christmas gifts would double as birthday presents and any formality of having a birthday would be gone.
So, when I had a child, I knew that thier day- the day I told them I was happy that they were born and here with us- would not be anything less than special. Some say I go over board. So what?? Your child is only your child for a short time, why not show them how special they are to you while you can? The key to this, however, is using these things as teaching moments to help them develope into that teenage/ adult that is coming quicker than the rain drops whether you like it or not.
To have these moments to celebrate thier lives, but not to celebrate raising a spoiled brat. One way in which I do this, is I stop him (as often as I can, he is still a kid) and tell him to say Thank you to whom evers gift he has opened. As well as when he is done, he has to go and say thank you and give hugs. It's not perfect, sometimes its a struggle, but I want to attempt to keep his attitude humble and his heart soft.
So, it was a busy day but an enjoyable one. Tomorrow, we will begin writting our thank you cards, Korbin is big enough this year to help write in them. It is hard for me to believe my baby has turned into a big boy right before my very eyes.
It gives new meaning to his morning verse " This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it". These years are going to fast, I will be glad in each day we have while we have it!!!

No comments: