Reflections of a Wife, Mom & Weightloss Surgery Patient!

What you do and don't do to manage your life does not only affect you. It affects everyone around you!- Author Elizabeth George

Monday, December 10, 2012

Moment by moment

My day began unexpectedly at 4am when Konnor fell out of bed and smacked his face on the hardwood floor. The entire right side of his face was bright red and he had a huge lump right above his eyebrow. It was swollen & bruising.

Rod had fallen asleep in the living room, just like you do not wake a grizzly bear when he is asleep, you do not wake Rod where he falls asleep or he will not fall asleep in the same manor again for the rest of the night. Yes! This is what I have learned after almost 10 years of marriage.

So, I went into the living room fearing the manor that Rod would wake up but I needed him to look at Konnor. Four exhausted eyes were better than two watering, red eyes at this early morning time. Rod tried to get Kon to follow his finger, but Konnor did not understand what he was suppose to be doing so it was not helpings. His pupils were reactive and he could answer all our questions, so we thought he could go back to sleep.

Within minutes he was snuggled into my bed, and on his way back to dreamland.
I just could not get out of my head the loud crash of Konnor falling out of bed and how he just missed landing on something sharp. It was the second time this week-end we had a near miss.

On Saturday, I was standing in the bathroom blow drying my hair when Rod fell out out of the shower. His head hit my lower back, and I fell forward. I screamed because my mind had not yet comprehended what was going on and I tried to refocus my vision to figure out why Rod was laying on his back, half in & out of the bathtub, moaning in agony.

It turns out he had lost his footing and the soap made the tub slippery, causing him to fall backward. We were so thankful he fell backward instead of forward because if he would have done that, he would have hit his head on the facet and/or impaling himself with the tub stopper.

I was thinking how one little moment could change your life forever, both in good and bad ways.

My friend A's husband got a piece of wire into his eye this week-end, and now he is recovering from surgery from a single moment doing something he has most likely done a thousand times before. My heart hurt for them, at this early morning and I began to wonder if God wakened me in this manor to pray for this family and to show me to take life a little slower and take things moment by moment?

Yesterday at church Pastor Mikes opening remarks, "If you are not careful you will miss Christmas. Not the shopping, Not the baking, Not the gift giving, the spirit of Christmas." Jesus is the gift and it is His Spirit we are suppose to embody especial this time of year, but as I work retail this year, I can say with most certainty that most people have lost the Spirit of Christmas.

The quietness of the house, as the clock flipped to 5am, I was reminded of the man who bought a bag of goldfish for a little girl yesterday. He did not know this little girl, as matter of fact, he just met her a moment before he purchased  the gold fish for her and her mom. The mom tried to pay him but he declined with akind smille and a "Merry Christmas". He remembered the Spirit of Christmas. I want to remember the Spirit of Christmas and not miss it. Not take things for granted, to be kind, and bring joy to others, just to name a few things that remind me of Jesus and the things He brought to us.

I could feel myself starting to relax and slip back into sleep and as I prayed, I thanked God for those moments, that His hand was there and although something happened, like Rod & Konnor both falling, He caught them just enough to avoid a catastrophe.

I thanked God for those people who endure catastrophe's, like my friend A & her family with the uncertainty of her husbands sight, that give Him Glory for those moments that they saw Him even when things were falling apart for them. These people are example of truly how to worship in times of trail and distress. I hate that bad things happen to such good, good people but I am so thankful they love God in the good times and bad.

Most importantly, I am thankful that God reminded me of the True Spirit of Christmas and to take them moment by moment and not to miss the Joy of the Season.

My prayer that for all who read this, that you will not miss the joy of Christmas and the meaning that Jesus has brought to your life or will bring to your life, if you do not know Him. He, along with the God the Father, will fill every void you have in this life, can forgive every sin and change your bad into good. Things will not be perfect if you ask Jesus into your life, but because of Him you can endure these hardships because there is a perfect place with the only perfect man ever existed waiting for you on the other side of this world. Won't you ask Jesus to be waiting for you in  eternity? He will bring you Joy Unspeakable and help you to see the baby in the manger in a whole new light this season!

Take things moment by moment, my dear friends, and do not miss all of the Joy this season has to offer! You will not be sorry you did!!

~Kristy~



No comments: