Reflections of a Wife, Mom & Weightloss Surgery Patient!

What you do and don't do to manage your life does not only affect you. It affects everyone around you!- Author Elizabeth George

Thursday, December 6, 2012

11 year Dating Anniversary

I am not sure where the last 11 years has gone, but yesterday was the 11th anniversary of my first date with my man.
We met through a mutual friend and over a series of phone calls, we decided to meet and have a first date.
I worked all day  training for my new job at TCF Bank inside the old K-mart. I drove my silver Saturn, named "Simon" to and from Southfield every week-day for two weeks.
After work, I drove to the hotel to pick up my pay check where I worked the audit, on the week ends ( 11p-7am) and then home to shower and get ready for my date. I was SO EXCITED and NERVOUS!!! I wore a green sweater and blue jeans.
I drove to dearborn and sat outside TGI Fridays and thought, Do I really want to do this??
Rod also came from work, in Dearborn, off of Michigan Ave & Telegraph behind the Home Depot his company had moved from Troy to that office. He wore a cream colored logo shirt with his companies name on it, and carhart blue jeans.
We met outside the restaurant, and he opened the door for me and then when he got to our table, he gave me a Red Rose and pulled out me chair for me. I was certainly impressed with his manors.
I ordered a pasta dish, with chicken and I am not sure what Rod ordered. Most likely steak because we began discussing the current Mad Cow Disease and how I was currently staying away from Red Meat.
I remember his hearty laugh, and today as I look at Konnor who is currently sitting on my lap, I see bits & pieces of  that man who sat in front of me all those years ago.
It seems like we sat there for hours, I was lost his eyes and how they crinkle up in the corners. The conversation was so carefree and easy. I knew I wanted to see him again.
He walked me to my car, and asked if there was something else we could do because he did not want to leave.
I smiled.
I did not want to leave either!
Then we changed direction and walked to his car, which was a 1996 Green Buick Regal, instead. This was Rods baby. He loved this car and took great care of it, you could tell. It would later be the care we drove our first child home from the hospital in.
We sat in his car and talked forever, and made plans for our second date. He asked if he could hold my hand, and  he was so nervous his palms were so sweety! I tried not to say anything, it was funny and gross at them same time!
I could not believe I made someone that nervous!!
Rods hands no longer sweet when he hold hands, but he still randomly kisses my hand as he hold it and his eyes still crinkle in the corners when we finally get a few minutes to ourselves.
Its funny to think that this is where it all started, and I would not change a thing from now until then.
What has always attracted me to Rod was how he took such great care of me. Even then, he was my provider and protector. That was the first date I had ever been on where I did not have to pay for my own meal!
Things have changed, we are older and wiser and been through alot of speed bumps and pot holes. When things get to crazy, I try to stop and remember those moments when we first started dating and the man I fell in love with.
August 2, 2013 we will be married for 10 years. We have two handsome, mostly healthy little boys. We have so much to be thankful for and have a marriage, despite the bumps, to be proud of. We never give up on each other and never stop believing in God bringing us together for a purpose.
Rod will always be my provider and protector. He completes that missing piece in my heart that I was looking for. He protects me from others and my self, and takes the heat when people think it is him forcing my hand at something when usually it is me, but I can not stand up for myself.
I am the people pleaser and he is the force to be reckoned with. He is the black and white area and I am the gray. I am the sensitive cry at nothing, and He is the I will not cry unless my guts are being ripped out. I am the Rom Com and He is the Shoot'em up, Kill'em movie. He is next to no sauce on his pizza and I am extra sauce on everything.
Together, we complete two halves of the same circle.
I see parts of both my Dad and my Step Dad in him, which was a hard combination to find in a man, and I think my mom would love him and the life we have made together. The man that made me say "Yes" to his proposal when I thought he was breaking up with me, was Jesus.
Although Rod sometimes gets crazy and looses his way ( just as I do) he always returns back to the same place: the feet of Jesus. He love of Jesus and constant searching for the best way to serve and honor Him, is what sealed the deal that this is the man I would share my life. I love that Rod loves Jesus!
It is my sincrerest prayer that our boys have a marriage like ours, without the bumps and hardships, but with the love and passion we have.
We do not have the perfect life, but it is our life together and I am so thankful for all that it is and all that it is not!!

I love you Roderick Allen more than all the sand in all the beach's in all the world forever!! Happy Dating Anniversary!!

~Kristy~

No comments: