Reflections of a Wife, Mom & Weightloss Surgery Patient!

What you do and don't do to manage your life does not only affect you. It affects everyone around you!- Author Elizabeth George

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Taking Control of my Focus

*This was orginally written on Monday, Jan 30,2011*

A couple of weeks ago now, Pastor Mike began talking about fasting. I listened intently as thought, " I should learn more about this" and had planned too but sometimes when you walk out the church doors, real life smacks you right in the face and I lost focus.

So, since tomorrow is the last day of January, now is as good as time as any. Right?
If you google fasting there are 3,500,000 results. Fasting is a way to regain focus, and you can choose to do this is many ways. You can do a full fast or a particial fast for a variety of days. Here are a couple of ways to get started...

Determine the reasons of your choice to fast

Since I am a type 2 Diabetic, I can not do a full fast(or absolute fast) so I will focus on the partical fast or you can give up an item & in it place put prayer and reflection on what God is speaking to you about.Giving up a  source Social Media, is a good example.

Determine the length of your fasting experience, whether this is for 1 meal, 1 day, 3 days or a week (Jesus fasted for a period of 40 days, but that is no sign that anyone else might do that). You may wish to try a shorter fast, and start slowly at first, if you have not previously fasted. Since I have never fasted, I will start with one day a week and and double it each day a week until the end of Feb. So, the first week will be one day. The second week, two days. The third week four days and the fourth week I will complete a full week. On these days, I will have no solid foods. Protein shakes and broths. I will also abstain from the computer from these days, with the exception of my on-line classes. I will not be on facebook or blogging these days unless the Lord directs me otherwise.

Hold the right motives. Note that fasting as a Christian means to humble thyself before Him. It is a way to Glorify our Lord. Keep these aspects in mind while you fast. Try to hold off any other reasons for fasting such as weight loss, etc. Center it around Jesus. If weight loss should occur, then that is just a side effect of taking control of your focus.

Pray before your fast. Pray, confessing every one of your sins, and inviting the Holy Spirit to lead your life. Let Jesus know you wish to know Him personally. Acknowledge that He has died on the cross for our sins and rose to Heaven 3 days later, freeing us from condemnation, and giving us His free gift of eternal life. Ask forgiveness from everyone you have hurt; ask forgiveness from God. Forgive those who have hurt you. I will be praying specifically for the healing of two friends who need a touch from the Masters Hand, also the direction of our church as we look for a new Youth Pastor. Together, Rod & I will be praying about his job and the direction of our family.

Things have been crazy out of control in the month of January, and I have definitely lost my focus and I look forward to putting my focus back where it belongs. I am looking forward to talking with God and connecting with Him again, I have missed our time together. It makes me sad to realize that I put those moments with my God on the back burner. But honestly, I do not know for what?!

I will still continue to blog during this month (with the expection of the day or days each week that I am abstaining from solid food) of fasting and of course there is also tweaking especially when this is your first fast, like mine. However, I will not be on FB or Email (I will return emails if sent but I will not be sending them. If I need to connect with someone, I will have to do it by phone or in-person. Ha ha! Imagine that?). A friend, Keith, set forth this challenge and I accepted because in recent days I have found that this things are really robbing me or time and/or joy. If I want to find my focus,it should make sense that I look for joy too?

Lastly, I do not tell you that I am fasting because I want some sort of applause or accolade. Since this is my first time ever doing so, I want to encourage others to realize that it can be done and share how God is using this in my life. Not every time I do this nor everything I encounter while doing this will I share. Fasting is a very private thing between you & your God. You are putting aside something important to you to reach out to Him and say that He is more important to you than whatever you gave up.

Thanks for following me and I step out in Faith and do something different! I am looking forward to what February holds!!

~Kristy~







No comments: