Reflections of a Wife, Mom & Weightloss Surgery Patient!

What you do and don't do to manage your life does not only affect you. It affects everyone around you!- Author Elizabeth George

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Weight loss surgery fights PCOS

As if I didn't need another reason to have had wls, I was given one at the doctor when he told me that surgery has resolved my type 2 diabetes and is aiding in the fight against my PCOS(Polycystic ovary syndrome).
The definition the web md gives for PCOS is : "Polcystic ovary syndrome is a condition in women characterized by irregular or no menstrual periods, acne, obesity, and excess hair growth. PCOS is a disorder of chronically abnormal ovarian function and hyperandrogenism (abnormally elevated androgen levels). It affects 5-10% of women of reproductive age. PCOS is also called the Stein-Leventhal syndrome."
I was diagnosed with PCOS five and half years ago when I went to see my ob about birth control prior to getting married. At the time, I did not think very much of it, I was more concerned with the act of getting married than what would happen once we were married. However, the birth control helped to regulate my cycles therefore eliminating the issue, at least in my own mind. Then, after a frightening eight hour ordeal in the local ER for chest pains at the age of 28, I was removed from my birth control for fear of pulmonary embolism with my family history and current medical status (morbidly obese, type 2 diabetes, and high cholesterol).Thus, dissipated any control I had over my monthly cycles.
In January when I had my wls, my cycles began happening like clock work, up until my seventh month post-op. In this month, my weight loss began to slowed to a steady nothingness, and my attention to food and exercise gave way to life's happenings.
At first, I (again) did not pay much attention to my body's signals. I thought my body just needed a minute to catch up to it's rapid weight loss. However, what was actually happening was when I increasing my carbohydrates by not paying attention to my diet then my body also increased it's insulin Resistance. And when I also stopped exercising as much, the insulin was not being regulated in this way either thus the slowing in weight loss and extreme hunger.
So, when my body was not using the insulin properly the excess insulin was thought to boost androgen (Elevated levels of male hormone)production by my ovaries and irregulaating my cycles yet again.All of this means that even though I have lost 148 pounds, which is a significant amount of weight, it is not enough!! This is/was extremely frustrating!! Even at that weight loss, I still am considered to be "obese" (can you believe it???) and need to move my weight to the low end of over weight or the high end of the normal range in order for my PCOS to possibly regulate it's self. Even then, there is no guarantee of that. However, daily exercise and a diet low in carbohydrates is what the Mayo clinic recommends in order to fight this disorder without medication or in addition too it.
So, it is back to chicken and fish for me along with a daily trip back to the gym. I guess I thought I was in the clear, since my diabetes has been in check since the surgery. However, it still appears that I am fighting PCOS( along with 1 in 10 women in the united states). I live in hope that once I hop back on the treadmill, my PCOS will hop back into remission.
What is ironic to me is that if it was not for wls, I would not have the tools to fight PCOS because I would not be in the gym, I would not be eat ting a diet low in fat and carbohydrate's and I would not be free of type 2 diabetes thus showing the symptoms on PCOS instead of diabetes in order to properly treat this.
Yes, I am severely concerned because I guess I though when the diabetes was gone so were my issues. But, I guess that is what I get for thinking?! I am just thankful that the Lord put into my life a team of Doctors that listen to what I am telling them and work to treat my symptoms in a timely, professionally manor. Dr. Mickelson and Dr. Rosenblatt have never discounted me as a needy over concerned person in which I am a dollar sign instead of a person. They are caring and concerned for my well being, and for that I am completely grateful that through their training I am getting the best care available.

No comments: