Reflections of a Wife, Mom & Weightloss Surgery Patient!

What you do and don't do to manage your life does not only affect you. It affects everyone around you!- Author Elizabeth George

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

C25K

Well, folks my entire summer routine has gone right out the window!! I was totally gun-ho over getting reorganized and resceduled since my surgery-let-everything-go mishap. I held on with both hands for two weeks to this schedule, and then life got in the way and everything totally and completely fell apart on me.
Since my husband recognized that I was nearing drowning in the tide of not knowing what to do next, he reacted as a life guard would and stepped in. This week, since Korbin is at VBS at my grandma's church from 10am-1pm everyday, it is my job everymorning to focus on cleaning and organizing our home. In the afternoons, along with giving Korbin some quality time and running errands, I will put down on paper all the things that I need to do, what to do and should do in a week. Then Saturday, Rod and I will be devoting the morning to coming up with a family schedule & chore chart that is realistic, reasonable, and achievable for everyone.
After all the parenting books that I read, you would think that this would be something I could do and implament on my own. In the past, I have done so very successfully. However, the thing that I satrificed to achieve that success was time for me. Time for me means something differant that it use too. My time is not spent shopping or sipping coffee at a local coffee shop with my friends. I do enjoy those moments occassionally, however, on a day to day basis time for me means time to read my bible and digest what it says, time spent in prayer for my loved ones, needs and needs of others, time to eat correctly and time to exerise.Since I had my surgery, many of those things that I had once listed as a luxery to do, is now a neccessity or a "have too".
In order to achieve success with Korbins homeschool in the fall, my classes to finish my education, my weight loss and anything else I take on, I/We must begin now. As a result, Korbin will not be formally taking any classes at the YMCA again until the fall session at the end of August. My time at the Y will be spent on Tues & Thurs in a water class and participating in something called a Couch to 5k challenge(C25K). Over the next nine weeks, three days a week I will be focusing on moving from a walk to a run for 5 kilometers (which is approx a 30 minute run or 3 miles). I will be doing this in the form of a podcast and a treadmill. I know it sounds like I am completely nuts, but I am superstoked!! I've always wanted to be a good runner, and ran track briefly in high school. So now, in order to get back on track at home and at the gym, I needed something that could give me some flexablity(any three days I choose and anytime that I choose) and some results.So, the question I have for you, my avid readers. What will you do? Will you encourage me and wish me the best while shaking your head thinking I am nuts? Or will you join in? I'm starting on Monday..........

No comments: