Reflections of a Wife, Mom & Weightloss Surgery Patient!

What you do and don't do to manage your life does not only affect you. It affects everyone around you!- Author Elizabeth George

Monday, June 30, 2008

Decisions! Decisions!

Last week I met with my friend Alicia, who is also an academic advisor for the college I have applied to attend in the fall, to help me decide what I want to do when I grow up.
Strange, that at 30 years old, I do not feel grown up. I feel most days that this life I lead is a dream; some times good and others not so good, and any minute now I am going to wake up to find myself in the middle of Mr.Medley's English class only to realize that I did not finish my chapter in the scarlet letter in which there will be a test for in ten minutes. Breathe. Although I know that this is not a dream, it still does not seem as if that much time has passed between then and now. Sigh.
I think the main reason is that I am still struggling with the same question that I was at 18, what am I going to do when I grow up? Even though photography is my passion, it will never be my profession, because I do not wish to pursue it as one. I do not want to put that much stress on something that brings me so much joy only to ruin it in the end.
Which leaves me searching for something that will fulfill our financial needs, my need to only work part time because I am a full time wife and mommy already, and fulfills my desire to help others. This is why is began searching in the medical field.
In my days at Eastern Michigan, I was a nursing major. I enjoyed learning about the human body and how amazing God is to create something so detailed and functional. Yet, something just didn't feel right. Then, when I left school, I also left behind my nursing days. Today, I still love the science of it all but that desire to be in school for four long years to get my BSN is gone. My desire is to fulfill my dreams while creating dreams for my kid(s) and helping them to see thier dreams to the end. I can not do that(in my opinion) being in school that long. I wish now, I had finished my education. Then this would not be such an issue.
As I meet with Alicia and we chatted about life, and caught up with who's where doing what, she informed me that the program I wanted to take is on a two year waiting list!!! AHHHHH!!!! Then, she told me about a new program that I might be interested in and to take a good look at because it is really in demand right now. As the baby boomer generation ages, so does the need for Physical Therapist Assistants. This career is the sixth hottest career in the nation right now and the need is expected to rise through 2012, the starting salary for PTA is 45,000-75,000 a year.
At first when I left her office at the college, I was really confused. What was I going to do now??? I must admit I was kind of heart broken, as I had my heart and mind set. As I thought about it, I began to wonder if there was a reason that I had choose to meet with Alicia at the campus that day instead of driving to the Auburn Hills Campus where my appointment was. If God was trying to tell me something? What if my decision was not God's decision for me?
As enlightening as this thought process was, it was extremely irritating because I was now confused once again.I began praying diligently about God's will for my profession. Although, I am still a little unsure, I feel as if there is a direction or path for me to follow. I looked through the course catalog to check out what classes these majors required. I realize at that point that most of these all have the same general education classes(gen ed's), and that no matter what my destination was my starting path was still the same. I sense God's peace about the decision not to make a decision right now but to wait upon Him and He will direct my path.

No comments: