Reflections of a Wife, Mom & Weightloss Surgery Patient!

What you do and don't do to manage your life does not only affect you. It affects everyone around you!- Author Elizabeth George

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Hair loss

It is in the bath tub drain, all over the floor and the carpeting. It covers my clothes and ranges from a little to a lot. What is it? IT'S MY HAIR!! This was another (minor) complication that I was hoping to avoid, but was not surprised when it arrived.However.I was more than slightly unnerved when I ran my hand through my wet hair in the shower and pulled back a mass of tangled hair none the less.

Hair loss usually occurs in the fourth of fifth month following weight loss surgery.I am currently in my fourth month. During this phase of rapid weight loss, caloric intake is marginal. I am eating 600-800 calories per day.This is putting my body in a state of panic called starvation. A healthy body normally sheds ten percent of hair follicles at any given time. When a body is starving roughly thirty to forty percent of hair follicles are sacrificed as the body channels nutrition to more vital areas, like the muscles you need to live. During this phase hair loss is dramatic, and the remaining hair becomes lifeless.

They say that no wls patient has eve went bald from this, yet I find no comfort in that knowledge when at any given time I am finding large amounts of my hair everyplace but where it belongs! I have recently started a vitamin to my daily routine of pills called Biotin. It is suppose to support healthy hair and nail growth. Honestly, if I had known I needed this type of supplement, then I would have started taking it months ago.

I am trying to count my blessings, not my problems. This surgery has definitely been a blessing! I feel better now than I have in a long,long time! I am finally doing things that I have wanted to do with Korbin like running and playing outside and going to the pool. Things a lot of people take for granted until you can't do them. I am finally enjoying motherhood, that is a blessing that I did not expect to find in all of this, yet thankful that I did.

Yes, the hair loss and extreme tiredness are annoying. The tiredness should subside when I start to level off weight wise. The hair loss should end any time soon (prayerfully!). Until then, I will take the good with the bad and be thankful for the loss of pounds and just use the hair loss and a reminder to pray for patience!!

No comments: