Reflections of a Wife, Mom & Weightloss Surgery Patient!

What you do and don't do to manage your life does not only affect you. It affects everyone around you!- Author Elizabeth George

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

New Respect for Teachers!!

Since Korbins preschool stuff arrived more than 10 days ago, I have been consumed with reading through the teachers manual, buying school supplies, reading books, printing worksheets, making notes, etc, etc, etc!! I have one child to school and I am completely overwhelmed with the preparation and chores that begin even before the "school year" begins. We have planned to begin the Tuesday right after Labor Day, which is September 2 this year. I have a little more than 2 weeks to get it all done! I have never had any grand intention to be a teacher, of any kind. However, I was completely aware that as a mother, I was put into this role by God himself, and I would gladly accept the challenge to have the blessing of a child in my life. Knowing that I never, ever, ever wanted to teach as a profession imagine my surprise when I began feeling the desire to home school Korbin for preschool instead of sending him to school. I first had this feeling when he was 18 months old and a great deal of people began asking when I was gonna send my baby to school. I was bewildered by the emotional and immediately sought after God to talk Him out of it. I have been talking for almost three years now, and with each plead that I am completely unqualified, the desire grows stronger. Let me stop here and note, that until Korbin was born, I never had the desire to stay home with my children either. I was on the fast track ( or so I thought) to become a private banker at the bank I was working for, then maybe a manager of some sort, the the Vice President or President. See, I had "plans" for my life, and God completely changed those plans right around!! I sometimes wonder if He laughs at me? "Silly Kristy, when are you gonna learn that your life is not your own?" Now, I have anxiety about leaving Korbin for a couple of hours in the childcare room at the YMCA much less in daycare five days a week so I could chase my dream of corporate success. I digress, a friend of ours and the deacon of our church tells me often " God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called". Needless to say, here I sit getting ready to home school my preschooler and secretly enjoying the challenge of the road that lie ahead and the bonding that I will have over the next 9 months with my son. But, man-o-man! These teachers, especially in the private/Christan schools are grossly under paid!!! I just could not imagine doing this for 30+ students. I would be blue bloody bonkers!!!! Maybe it is a calling too? I am just thankful that it is not mine!! However, I have a new respect for those who put in the hours way before the school year even begins and who love their students before even ever meeting them enough to do so. So, as we get closer and closer to beginning another school year, let's remember those teachers in prayer. That they may have the strength, wisdom and dedication to begin and end their school year with integrity, character, and discipline to be a good example to our children while they have them in their care 5 days a week. And if your children are still at home with you, it is never too early to begin bathing your children's teachers in prayer.It is my prayer that Korbins teachers, coaches and advisers will be wonderful example of positive motivation, a love of learning and an impact that can not be made anywhere else, just as some of my teachers did.

No comments: