Reflections of a Wife, Mom & Weightloss Surgery Patient!

What you do and don't do to manage your life does not only affect you. It affects everyone around you!- Author Elizabeth George

Thursday, May 30, 2013

DUH Moments


I stepped on the scale this morning and to my surprise it read 228.4!! As I began 2013, I was over 250 and today I am 20+ pounds lighter!!

I am super excited!!!!

As I sat as my Mamaw's yesterday ( as you may recall, Konnor & I have been going over a couple times a week to help out since she was in the hospital with a fractured vertebrae during her last hospital stay) on the front porch where Kon & I typically go while Mamaw try's to take a mid-morning nap, I pulled up an e-book I down loaded on my kindle that I have been wanting to read. No Excuses; a busy Mom's Guide to Fitness is an e-book I downloaded for free with Amazon Prime. This short little book is chalked full of common sense idea's that I needed to remember and they really have helped me to get back on track!

This morning I got up ready and focused to get the fitness ball rolling and to achieve one of the goals I put on my 2013 list!

The book specifically states that you should begin you new changes on a Monday. "As a general rule," the author states "we are more successful if we begin something at the beginning of the week". Today is Thursday. It is also the end of the Month, I personally never begin things at the end of the month either. To me, its like starting at the end of a book & reading backward. Monday, June 3 is the day!

In this book, the Author Kimberly Brockway, gives you some steps and rules to follow to make getting started easy especially is your day is crazy busy like mine! I am 3/4 the way through the book, and I have Decided on my Goals for the next week:
  1. I will drink 6-8 classes of water every day
  2. I will cut back on the soda ( for some stupid reason I have been on this soda kick recently! ugh!)
  3. I will do the 5 Day Pouch Test to get back on track
  4. I will eat stop eating 2 hours before I go to bed
  5. I will make healthy meals instead of drive thru meals on sports nights
  6. I will walk my neighborhood at least once per day
  7. I will loose 2-3 pounds in the next 10 days/two weeks!
If you are unsure of the types of goals you should be making, then this book is really good at giving you some suggestions where to start!

"Write down your goals and post them on the bedroom door or bathroom mirror, where you will see it several times a day. Read it OUT LOUD every time you pass it!" Kimberly Brockway writes. This is something I have always done. It is usually scripture verses I am trying to memorize but writing out your goals is also a good thing to do. Just be careful that you do not take over the mirror and your husband grabs your index card & throws them away just so he can shave...not that my husband has ever done that or anything!

Like I said, this book has a ton of common sense idea's! That is why I kept reading, because it was like a "duh" moment. So many of these things I use to do and life go busy with two little boys, so I stopped doing them.

The Author gives some idea for healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner options. They are also quick to make and most seem reasonable in price as well.

Last night I read the Rules as I drifted off to sleep and that maybe why I jumped up ready to go because it was the last thing on my mind before I went to sleep.

Rule # 1 Drink lots of water ( DUH moment # 1)
Rule # 2 Eat Breakfast ( DUH moment # 2)
Rule # 3 Eat Your Veggies ( Ok so this one was not a DUH moment bc as a gastric bypass patient I             was taught to eat protein first & everything else 2nd)
Rule # 4 Plan your Snacks ( DUH moment # 3)
Rule # 5 Avoid sugary drinks ( DUH DUH DUH moment # 4)
Rule # 6 Stop beating yourself up ( DUH! moment # 5)

The reason these are DUH moments is because theses are ALL things I use to do!!

My goal by the end of the summer is to get back down to under 200 where I was before I got pregnant with Konnor. "Your body frame and muscle structure," my surgeon told Rod & I "Will not allow you to be super thin like you might be dreaming of" at my one year check up in 2009 at the 198 mark. " But I think you look amazing and HEALTHY!!" he said Healthy has always been the goal. To live a long life and to grow old gracefully.

So, whose with me?? Can you implement these Steps and Rules for the next TWO WEEKS??? Change up the goals to fit you & your needs and come along with me and in two weeks, 14 days, will begin our journey to feeling better. Who doesn't want that???

Are you ready??? LETS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Kristy~

No comments: