Reflections of a Wife, Mom & Weightloss Surgery Patient!

What you do and don't do to manage your life does not only affect you. It affects everyone around you!- Author Elizabeth George

Friday, March 20, 2009

Korbin is going to be a Kindergartener!!

I can remember the moment I found out I was going to be a mommy. It was one of the single most life changing moments, I have ever had. With a ringing of the telephone I became solely responsible for another life.
I remember the first time we seen each other, and looking into the stormy dark blue eyes that I had just spent 72 hours in labor and having major surgery to meet.
I remember his first words, the first night he slept through the night, the first time he crawled and walked, his first birthday, when he switched to a "big boy" bed, and when he started going to the bathroom by himself.The first time he smiled and stole my heart.
As his mommy, I have been by his side for every major mile stone Korbin has had up until this point. Now, I sit here pen in hand, getting ready to sign my baby up for Kindergarten. Not just any kindergarten but ALL DAY kindergarten!! My little man will be gone for 8:30 am to 3:30 pm Monday thru Friday!!! I am completely and utterly overwhelmed with this transition to a world filled with monster trucks, tools the make real noises and "mommy I am hungry" to backpacks, lunchboxes and school clothes.
As Korbins world grows larger with friends, school activities and independence my world grows a little sadder as he needs me less and less. My baby is growing up!!! My tears are tears of joy because I am thankful that Korbin has the ability to grow up into a healthy, happy young man. As well as I am equally as thankful that I have had the opportunity to be his mommy full time for the last 4 1/2 years of his life.
I am trying to find the happiness in all of this kindergarten business, as Korbin steps into the next phase of his life.Some of best times in my childhood were spent in school, just being me and being with my friends. And I think mainly, that is what I am afraid of: that Korbin will move on without me.
Silly? Maybe. I know that I will have more than enough to keep me busy with a newborn at home.
Yet, I can not help but feeling like life is changing and there is nothing I can do about it.
I know those baby blue eyes, dimples and southern drawl " yes ma'am" will wow his teachers and his sense of humor, kind heart and competitive nature will make him lots of friends. I know the transition will be more traumatic for me than it will be for him, as he walks into that kindergarten room for the first time a new portion of his life begins, as does mine as I will from then be the mother of a kindergarten, a PTO mom and snack helper once a month.

No comments: